DENNIS WILSON WISE e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com University of Arizona Updated 11 Aug 2017
REFEREED ARTICLES AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Unraveling The Hobbit’s Strange Publication History: A Look at Possible Worlds, Modality, and Accessibility Relations.” Subcreation: Worldbuilding in the Fantastic. Spec. Issue of Fastitocalon 7 (2017). FORTHCOMING.
- “J.R.R. Tolkien and the 1954 Nomination of E. M. Forster for the Nobel Prize in Literature.” Mythlore. FORTHCOMING.
- “The Domestic Male within the Pale of Globalization: The Postmodern Transformation of Tolkien’s Bard the Bowman.” Comparing Jackson’s The Hobbit Films to Tolkien’s Novel: Text into Film (working title), edited by Janice M. Bogstad, McFarland. FORTHCOMING.
- “Book of the Lost Narrator: Re-Reading The Silmarillion as a Unified Text.” Tolkien Studies, vol. 13, 2016, pp. 101-124. Available at Project Muse.
- “Harken Not To Wild Beasts: Between Rage And Eloquence in Saruman And Thrasymachus.” The Journal of Tolkien Research, vol. 3, no. 2, 2016, available here.
- “Classical Poetry and Modern Political Philosophy: Spenser and Machiavelli in A View of the State of Ireland.” Scientia et Humanitas, vol. 4, 2014, pp. 1-20, available here.
NON-REFEREED BOOK CHAPTERS
- “Identity, Time, and Faerie in Pig Tale and The Inn at Corbies’ Caww: An Unexpected Convergence of Realms.” “A Wilderness of Dragons”: Essays in Honor of Verlyn Flieger. Ed. John D. Rateliff. Forthcoming.
- “Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Social Critique: Stephen R. Donaldson’s Gap Into Genre.” New Boundaries in Political Science Fiction. Ed. Donald M. Hassler and Clyde Wilcox. Columbia, SC: U of South Carolina P, 2008. 290-298. Print.
- “Review of Okja, directed by Bong Joon-Ho.” Science Fiction Film and Television. FORTHCOMING.
- “Review of Alfred Bester, by Jad Smith.” Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts. FORTHCOMING.
- “Review of The Invention of Angela Carter: A Biography, by Edmund Gordon.” Mythlore. FORTHCOMING.
- “Review of A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages, edited by Dimitra Fimi and Andrew Higgins.” Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, vol. 27, no. 3, 2016, pp, 549-552.
- “Review of Wizards vs. Muggles: Essays on Identity in the Harry Potter Universe, edited by Christopher E. Bell.” Mythlore, vol. 35, no. 1, 2016, pp. 154-160, also available here.
- “Review of The Evolution of Modern Fantasy: From Antiquarianism to the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series, by Jamie Williamson.” Fafnir: The Nordic Journal of Science Fiction and Fantasy Research, vol. 3, no. 3, 2016, available here.
- “History, Warfare, and the Late Epic Fantasy of Glen Cook.” Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts. Revise and resubmit status.
NON-ACADEMIC ARTICLES AND REVIEWS
- “How the Writers have Pushed MLB too far with Biogenesis.” It’s Pronounced Lajaway, 22 Aug 2013, available here.
- “Masculinity, Reading, and Twilight.” As It Ought to Be, 9 July 2013, available here.
- “Review of The Historical Novel in Nineteenth-Century Europe: Representations of Reality in History and Fiction, by Brian Hamnett.” Historical Novel Review, no. 63, February 2013, available here.