DENNIS WILSON WISE e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org, email@example.com University of Arizona Updated 12 Sept. 2019
For my full public C.V., click the link. Updated: 21 Nov. 2019.
- Ph.D., English Literature, Middle Tennessee State University. 2017.
- Concentrations: 20th-century British & American Literature; fantasy literature & science fiction
- M.A. in English Literature, Ohio State University. 2008.
- B.A. in English Literature, History, Philosophy, Kent State University. 2006.
ACADEMIC POSITIONS HELD
- Lecturer, University of Arizona, 2017- –
- Writing Fellow, College of Graduate Studies, Middle Tennessee State U., 2016-2017
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Middle Tennessee State University, 2012-2016
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, The Ohio State University, 2006-2008
ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS—refereed publications
- “History and Precarity: Glen Cook and the Rise of Picaresque Fantasy Epic.” Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts. FORTHCOMING
- “‘Violations as Profound as any Rape’: Feminism and Sexed Violence in Stephen R. Donaldson.” Extrapolation, vol. 60, no. 2, 2019, pp. 133-56.
- “Paul Edwin Zimmer’s Alliterative Style: A Metrical Legacy of J. R. R. Tolkien and Poul Anderson.” Mythlore, vol. 37, no. 1, 2018, pp. 183-201. Available here.
- “Unraveling The Hobbit’s Strange Publication History: A Look at Possible Worlds, Modality, and Accessibility Relations.” Subcreation: Worldbuilding in the Fantastic, spec. issue of Fastitocalon, vol. 7, no. 1/2, 2017, pp. 121-35. Available here.
- “J.R.R. Tolkien and the 1954 Nomination of E. M. Forster for the Nobel Prize in Literature.” Mythlore, vol 37, no. 1, 2017, 143-65. Available here.
- “Harken Not To Wild Beasts: Between Rage And Eloquence in Saruman And Thrasymachus.” The Journal of Tolkien Research, vol. 3, no. 2, 2016, pp. 1-32. Available here.
- Translations: Greek. Forthcoming in Οι Επιδράσεις της Αρχαίας Ελληνικής Γραμματείας στο Έργο του Τζ.Ρ.Ρ. Τόλκιν [The Influence of Ancient Greek Literature in the Work of J.R.R. Tolkien], edited by Dimitra Fimi and Dimitris Kolovos, Kedros Publishers, Athens.
- “Book of the Lost Narrator: Re-Reading The Silmarillion as a Unified Text.” Tolkien Studies, vol. 13, 2016, pp. 101-24. Project MUSE, doi:10.1353/tks.2016.0008.
- “Classical Poetry and Modern Political Philosophy: Spenser and Machiavelli in A View of the State of Ireland.” Scientia et Humanitas, vol. 4, 2014, pp. 1-20. Available here.
ARTICLES & BOOK CHAPTERS—non-refereed publications
- “Delving into Nome Man’s Land: Two Traditions in Baum and Tolkien.” Baum Bugle. FORTHCOMING.
- “L. Frank Baum and PYRZQXGL: Or, How to Do Things with (Magic) Words.” Baum Bugle. FORTHCOMING.
- “Identity, Time, and Faerie in Pig Tale and The Inn at Corbies’ Caww: An Unexpected Convergence of Realms.” A Wilderness of Dragons: Essays in Honor of Verlyn Flieger, edited by John D. Rateliff, Gabbro Head, 2018, pp. 380-402.
- “Science Fiction, Fantasy, and Social Critique: Stephen R. Donaldson’s Gap Into Genre.” New Boundaries in Political Science Fiction, edited by Donald M. Hassler and Clyde Wilcox, U of South Carolina P, 2008, pp. 290-98.
-  “The Dispossessed.” The Literary Encyclopedia, http://www.litencyc.com. First published 25 Oct. 2019;  “Peter S. Beagle“;  “The Last Unicorn.” The Literary Encyclopedia, http://www.litencyc.com. First published 21 Nov. 2019
- “Donaldson’s Amnion and the Dangers of a Posthuman Future.” Aliens in Popular Culture, edited by Michael M. Levy and Farah Mendlesohn, Greenwood, 2019, pp. 107-09.
-  “Stephen R. Donaldson”;  “The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever.” The Literary Encyclopedia, http://www.litencyc.com. First published 8 October 2018.
- Sub-creating Arda: World-building in J. R. R. Tolkien’s Works, its Precursors, and its Legacies, edited by Dimitra Fimi and Thomas Honegger. Journal of Tolkien Research, vol. 7, no. 1, 2019, pp. 1-9. Available here.
- Okja (film), directed by Bong Joon-Ho. Science Fiction Film and Television, vol. 12, no. 2, 2019, pp. 290-94, doi.org/10.3828/sfftv.2019.16.
- The Return of the Ring, volumes 1 & 2, edited by Lynn Forest-Hill. Journal of Tolkien Research, vol. 5, no. 1, 2018, pp. 1-14. Available here.
- Alfred Bester, by Jad Smith. Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, vol. 29, no. 2, 2017, 332-35.
- The Invention of Angela Carter: A Biography, by Edmund Gordon. Mythlore, vol. 36, no. 1, 2017, 235-39.
- A Secret Vice: Tolkien on Invented Languages, edited by Dimitra Fimi and Andrew Higgins. Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, vol. 27, no. 3, 2016, pp. 549-52.
- Wizards vs. Muggles: Essays on Identity in the Harry Potter Universe, edited by Christopher E. Bell. Mythlore, vol. 35, no. 1, 2016, pp. 154-60. Available here.
- The Evolution of Modern Fantasy: From Antiquarianism to the Ballantine Adult Fantasy Series, by Jamie Williamson. Fafnir: The Nordic Journal of Science Fiction and Fantasy Research, vol. 3, no. 3, 2016, pp. 72-73. Available here.
CONFERENCES PRESENTATIONS (most recent only)
- Legacies of Ursula K. Le Guin: Science, Fiction, and Ethics for the Anthropocene. “Unrealizable Ambiguous Utopias: Reading The Dispossessed through Leo Strauss and Plato.” The Sorbonne—Paris, France.
- 2019. International Medieval Congress (IMC). “A Straussian Approach to Tolkien’s Medievalism: The Conflict between Ancient and Modern.” University of Leeds, England.
- Also invited to participate in a round table discussion: “New Voices and New Topics in Tolkien Scholarship”
- 2018. 53rd International Congress on Medieval Studies. “‘Sing, Muse, the Wrath of Boromir, Denethor’s Son’: Thumos and Lofgeornost in Tolkien.” Kalamazoo, MI.
- 2018. International Conference for the Fantastic in the Arts. “Gender Violence and Feminist Thought in Stephen R. Donaldson’s ‘Reave the Just.’” Orlando, FL.
- 2017. International Conference for the Fantastic in the Arts. “The Art of Writing in Glen Cook’s Black Company Series: A Meditation on Historiography.” Orlando, FL.
- English 160D at U of Arizona: Nonhuman Subjects: Monsters, Ghosts, Aliens, Others. See syllabus here.
- English 197B at U of Arizona: Online Writing Studio
- English 102 at U of Arizona: First-Year Composition II. See syllabus here.
- English 101 at U of Arizona: First-Year Composition I. See syllabus here.
- English 2030 at MTSU: The Experience of Literature. See syllabus here.
- English 1020 at MTSU: Research and Argumentative Writing. See syllabus here.
- English 1010 at MTSU: Expository Writing with multimodal component. See syllabus here.
- English 152 at Ohio State: Writing and Reading
- English 151 at Ohio State: Writing and Rhetoric I
AWARDS, HONORS, GRANTS, FELLOWSHIPS (selected)
- 2019-2020. R. D. Mullen Postdoctoral Research Fellowship ($3,000) – Science Fiction Studies. National postdoctoral fellowship for original archival research.
- 2016. Richard C. and Virginia Peck Award (faculty-nominated award for excellence in graduate work; highest departmental honor), MTSU.
ACADEMIC SERVICE–departmental & university (selected)
- 2018. Departmental Retreat: full day English faculty event—U of Arizona
- 2018. Media appearance: Wildcat Crime (local podcast; interview): “The Myths, Legends, and Crimes Behind the Haunting of Maricopa Hall” & “Violence and Ghost Stories” – U of A
- 2017. Editor in chief, Scientia et Humanitas—MTSU Honors College
ACADEMIC SERVICE to the DISCIPLINE
- 2018- –. Reviews editor, Fafnir: Nordic Journal of SFF Research
- N/A. Blind peer reviewer for journals Extrapolation and Fafnir; reviewer for Wiley-Blackwell
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS (selected)
- MLA; Council of Editors of Learned Journals; International Association of the Fantastic in the Arts; Mythopoeic Society; Tolkien Society
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT (selected)
- 2018. Certificate: Leader in Classroom Diversity & Inclusion (four completed workshops)
- 2018. Certificate: Teaching Online (2-week online mini-workshop)
RELATED PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- 2016. Copy editor and proofreader for University of Solitude [Univerzita Samoty] by Matej Valuch. Translated by Martina G. Wise, Amazon, 2016.
- 2010- —. Freelance editor. Copyediting/proofreading for academic articles, theses, dissertations, book proposals, etc.
- Available upon request