RELEVANT PEER-REVIEWED JOURNALS
- Tolkien Studies, journal available from PROJECT MUSE
- Journal of Tolkien Research, open access journal
- Mythlore, peer-reviewed journal starting in Winter 1999 (issue #85). Available by subscription. Searchable index of articles found here.
- Journal of Inklings Studies, peer-reviewed journal. Same focus as VII (below), looking at the theology, philosophy, and literature of Lewis, Barfield, Williams, and Tolkien, plus related writers.
- Hither Shore: Interdisciplinary Journal on Modern Fantasy Literature. Peer-reviewed journal in German.
- Fastitocalon: Studies in Fantasticism Ancient to Modern, peer-reviewed journal (European)
- Journal of the Fantastic in the Arts, peer-reviewed journal available from JSTOR
- Extrapolation, a peer-reviewed journal that does mostly science fiction but also genre fantasy
Relevant Non-refereed Journals
- Inklings: Jahrbuch für Literatur und Ästhetik, a journal from a dual English-German language conference.
- VII: An Anglo-American Literary Review, journal. Focuses on the “seven” Inkling and Inkling-related writers. Same focus as JIS (above). Search index of articles found here.
- Mallorn, a journal from the Tolkien Society.
TOLKIEN SOCIETIES & PUBLICATIONS
- The Tolkien Society (England), publisher of the journal Mallorn and the bulletin Amon Hen
- The German Tolkien Society, publisher of Hither Shore, a Tolkien journal in German
- The American Tolkien Society, publisher of the Minas Tirith Evening-Star
- Tolkien Special Interest Group of American Mensa, publisher of Beyond Bree (newsletter)
- The Mythopoeic Society, publisher of Mythlore
- The Tolkien Society of Sweden, publisher of Arda and Arda Philology
- Unquendor, the Dutch Tolkien Society, publisher of Lembas-extra
- A list of active and defunct Tolkien Fanzines
- Tolkien Journal, defunct. Ran from 1965-1972; eventually merged with Mythlore. Although not MLA-indexed or peer reviewed, it’s still occasionally cited in the scholarship. Back issues available from the Mythopoeic Society.
- The Tolkien Estate
- Mythlore Index Plus, a full and searchable listing of article titles and abstracts published by Mythlore.
- Tolkien Transactions by Troels Forchhammer, an immensely useful review journal of on-line Tolkien content. Supplemented by his Sources and Periodicals
- Tolkien Database, an impressive Tolkien-related annotated bibliography hosted by Wheaton College
- Tolkienbooks.net, an illustrated bibliography. Lists all editions of Tolkien’s works, though focuses on British editions. Great resource for those interest in book history.
- Mythgard Institute offers courses and podcasts on Tolkien, fantasy literature, and related fields.
- Tolkien Criticism 1982-2000, compiled by Drout and Wynne
- Tolkien Gateway, comprehensive on-line wiki
- Encyclopedia of Arda, on-line wiki
- LOTR Project, interactive maps, timelines, and statistics
- Fancyclopedia, list of Tolkien fanzines
- Diary on the JRR Tolkien Encyclopedia, website by N.E. Brigand that comments on Drout’s Tolkien Encyclopedia.
SCHOLARLY TOLKIEN BLOGS
- John D. Rateliff: Sacnoth’s Scriptorium. Frequently updated.
- David Bratman: Kalimac’s Corner. Frequently updated.
- Dimitra Fimi: Academic Blog
- Jason Fisher: Lingwë – Musings of a Fish
- Wayne G. Hammond and Christina Scull: Too Many Books and Never Enough Time
- Michael D. C. Drout: Wormtalk and Slugspeak
- Douglas A. Anderson: Tolkien and Fantasy
- John Garth, Website and Blog
- Troels Forchhammer, Parma-kenta
- Anna Smol, A Single Leaf
- Edmund Weiner, Philoloblog. Interest in philology.
- Jonathan S. McIntosh, The Flame Imperishable. Theological interests.
- Robin Anne Reid, Blog. Large focus on fandom.
PRIMARY REPOSITORIES WITH TOLKIEN MATERIALS